Monday 9 April 2012

Make Do & Mend - Retro Table Transformation





I fancied doing a little project after we bought this cute retro 1950s style table and it needed a new top. It would originally have had a formica top but this was removed before we bought it. We tried a couple of times to sell the table as a project but had no takers so thought I'd tap into my creative side and have a go myself.
 

Original condition

I have an abundance of old sheet music, some of which was starting to fall apart due to age, so I thought it was perfect for this project. I found a bottle of PVA glue in the garage and got tearing! If you fancy giving this a try yourself you don't need to go for expensive PVA glue. I used a bottle of cheap school PVA which I bought from The Works for just £2. I only used a tiny amount too so a bottle will last you for many more crafty projects to come! 




I started the layering process a section at a time by brushing on a thin layer of PVA over a small section and then sticking down the torn up pieces of sheet music. Then when the whole table was covered I brushed a thicker layer of PVA over the whole surface. For this project I made sure all the pieces went over the edge of the table and then when it was all dry I ran a sharp knife around the edge to make a neat finish. If you were using a thinner paper or fabric then you could wrap the paper/fabric over the edges and secure it underneath but this sheet music is very brittle so I decided to trim around the edges.






Ta da! Here is the finished table.


As a finishing touch I have gone around the edges with some PVA, which I brushed on fairly thickly, to ensure that the paper edges stay stuck down.

I'll be selling this lovely refurbed table at our next Worcester Flea on Sunday 6th May so if you fancy something unique come and have a look!

Happy Easter!!

Loll
x

No comments:

Post a Comment